<VV> Turbo Question

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jan 6 20:38:02 EST 2006

At 10:43 hours 01/06/2006, Smitty Smith wrote:
>Allen Bristows factory prototype 62 Spyder quite easily does the
>"ton".  So does my 64 Spyder Convert.  Some may consider 4,500 to be
>wound tight but 6,000 is seen often in my Spyder (not in
>4th).  Lates are more aerodynamic (even though they are a bit of a
>tank weight wise) and should be able to run up another 10 to 15 over that.

That blue '67 500 coupe will easily cruise at 80 mph, and a bit
higher than that if you get ambitious.

...recently got a radar endorsement high speed driving award from the
VA State Police to show for it...

Speedometer was off calibration, you know...   got a repair receipt
from a shop listed in the back of the Communique, took it to court,
cop and judge looked at me and knew I was lying my ass off and still
gave me the benefit of the doubt/decision anyway, changed it to
"defective equipment" and no points on my record, I paid a relatively
small fine and left a happy dude.

That 500 coupe will cruise at 90 mph easily enough if you ask it
to...   did it for about 30 miles on the way back from the National
Convention at Carlisle.    I used a "point man" to do it.

An SUV of some sort passed me at a high rate of speed on a straight
stretch of I-81 south heading out of PA, had VA Tech stickers all
over it, figgered it was on the way to VA so I accelerated up and
followed along behind it, hanging back about 300 ft or so, for
purposes of having the "point man" getting the cops riled up and
going after him before they saw me following up behind.    Much of
the way was at ~90+ mph.   I fully expected that SUV to trip
somebody's radar somewhere but it never did.    Eventually, traffic
got more crowded and we slowed down, and a more reasonable speed was
maintained for about 20-30 miles, then the SUV was off and running again.

I didn't trust my luck to follow it again at 90 mph, went the rest of
the way back to VA observing the speed limit.

Ironically, in MD I had somebody in a late '70s Olds with primer
spots on it pass me on the left with about 15 inches to spare, and at
about the same speed as the SUV, Olds was filled with some rough
looking characters, weaving back and forth in the lane ahead as they
speeded away.    I thought about following along behind briefly (for
about two seconds) but decided that using a car load of drunks as a
point man would likely be a very bad idea.     Five minutes I passed
them on the side of the road with two State Police cars behind and
ahead of them, the occupants all jacked up alongside the Olds...

Obey the speed limits, don't drink and drive, behave normally, keep
your drivers licence...

tony..         fingers crossed