<VV> RE: Ed's strange turbo behavior

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 01:08:36 EST 2006

Gentlemen:

  A friend known to some of you, Ed Lang, formerly of Michighan, now of Florida has a meticulously restored Spyder which is the envy of all who see it.

  Tonight in conversation he related this story to me and wondered what kind of response it would get from my fellow VVers.

  He says that he's measured the boost from his standard 150 turbo at between 20 and 26 lbs. pressure. So much, in fact, that it's pushed the tube carrying the boost off its mountings. He has measured, not with the stock dash gauge but with a real 0-100 lbs/sq/in pressure gauge. Concurrently he's used a real vacuum gauge to determine that at 70 mph his engine is pulling between 15-17 inches of mercury measured on an outboard vacuum gauge.

  Now, Ed has restored Corvairs by the hundreds and he really know his cars, but he says he's buffaloed  by the numbers he's getting.

  I can attest that when I'm traveling home from a car show on Rt 39 doing a respectable (Indicated) 70 mph (we all tend to drive a tad fast down here in Florida == it has to do with the alligator races -- Ed will invariably zoom past me, calm and serene at 90.

  Ed guesses the responses will be in the order of , "he's a liar, "can't be done," "something's terribly wrong,"'bad gauges" etc. He offers a ride to any doubting Thomases while remaining amazed at his turbo's sterling performance.  Since he's not allowed anywhere near a computer by his Mrs. I'll rely the responses to him printed out in LARGE type.

  Arjay Morgan
  unturboed 64 Monza convert