<VV> Re: TURBO SPEEDS and other memories

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Jan 7 05:12:28 EST 2006

my 64 spyder went over 100 mph many times in its life, in fact my rampside
did it when it was a 4spd  327 rear axle a few times but that did not feel
secure at all. it does 75plus when pushed too hard with the powerrslide 355.  thats
what probably finished it off. a 64 110 hp powrrglide monza would do about
105 with no troubles . this was with a corrected speedo checked with the village
radar gun setting on the seat. this stuff is not something i do much anymore
but i have many hours of high speed running in a corvair over the years.  my
new 64 4 spd with a 110  did 100 mph the first day i  owned it.  my wifes 64 95
with a 95hp 3 spd would darn near keep  up with me. this was back in 64.
doubt i would do much of that now. if ignition etc is upo snuff short toots of
6000rpm plus are very real events in a corvair. so are full scale  boost
readings in a spyder!  i have taken people on demo rides over the years to proove it.
back then it was fun , now it would probaly scare the heck out of me if i
lived through it.
regards, tim colson