<VV> RE: Ed's strange turbo behavior

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Jan 7 16:34:46 EST 2006

    What Jim says makes sense to me.  When I was driving my 180 Corsa
regularly to work years ago I measured 8 psig (pounds per square inch ABOVE
atmospheric pressure) going full throttle up a long hill at highway speeds.  After I
insulated the exhaust, the boost pressure on the same hill increased to 10 psig.
 This measurement was on a 4 inch diameter Sears "tune-up" gauge that showed
boost to the nearest 1/2 psig.  If you use the stock 40+ year old gauge to
indicate boost you are just kidding yourself.  Using this after-market gauge
regularly is also a good way of indicating if you develop any exhaust system leaks
upstream of the turbo.
    The downside to insulating the exhaust was a complete blowout of the
elbow after about 6 months due to "overtemperature" of the steel tubing.  At least
that's what the chief metallurgist at the plant told me when I showed him the
remains of the elbow.
    Frank Burkhard