<VV> RE: Ed's strange turbo behavior

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 18:32:03 EST 2006

Sounds good Andy, but we were talking about somebody else's
car, right (or am I confused?).  If the gauge just claims to
read "psi" (rather than "psig" or "psia") as in your case,
"0" with the engine off means the "psi" is really "psig" as
it will be for most gauges. On *most* (not all) gauges that
are intended to be automotive boost gauges, this will be the
case. If it reads around 15 (14.7 more precisely), than it's
reading in psia.

The original poster (Arjay) talked about his friend having a
"0-100 psi" gauge in place to measure boost. Clearly with a
psi range that big (regardless of it being psig or psia), it
is some sort of industrial gauge, and not normally something
you'd employ as a turbo boost gauge. Once you know that is
something peculiar is rigged up, you are immediately
wondering if it reads in gauge pressure or absolute
pressure.  If with the engine off, it shows around 15, it's
a psia gauge. You can use this, but you need to subtract off
the 15 when quoting numbers.  You are still at peak only
ready 1/4 range of the instrument, though, which is poor
engineering practice. Buy a different gauge if you want to
get more precise (and probably more accurate) readings.

I discounted other obvious things like it reads inches of
Mercury or kPa or some other units, because Arjay said it
was a "psi" gauge, and I trust he read the gauge face. The
values are reasonable for it being inches of Hg, though, so
that is something to really confirm. If it really says
"psi", than it's probably a "psia" gauge. Either that or it
is really broken. It's a simple matter to determine this. If
he's still in the dark, tee in another known good test gauge
back at the engine compartment and (temporarily) snake the
1/8" nylon tubing into the car through a window. It won't
take but 10 minutes and will reveal what is going on. The
car CAN'T be running 26 psig of boost if it's stock (you'll
be intake limited). If this was gotten around, the engine
wouldn't survive w/o extraordinary measures. In my work as
an automotive development engineer, I occasionally measure
something odd on a gauge or meter. If it doesn't pass a
sense check (and this doesn't from a couple avenues), you
test the measuring equipment.

Jim Burkhard