<VV> re: My First Corvair

Andrew Allen andyman260 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 9 00:53:37 EST 2006

In 1975 I was 15 and my dad was looking at a friends
'65 Monza because he always liked the styling and the
'nifty' name. He thought the name Corvair was derived
from Cor-vette because it was sporty and 'air' because
it was air-cooled. ( we all know the real source of
the name ) Turns out Mr. Hinckle was looking to sell
the car for 400 bucks (!) and dad floated the idea
that I could get the car fixed up by the time I had a
driver's licence.

I took him up on it and fell in love with that little
car. It was a maroon coupe with a 110 4-speed and
posi! I fixed it, broke it, painted it and had a blast
with it. My friends all loved it too and always
jonesing to drive it. I even bought a clapped out '65
Corsa as a parts car for 50 bucks.

I sold it in 1979 when I went off to school and had
another car. I regretted it the instant I signed the
title over and wanted another one since. I  bought a
'66 Corsa in not-running condition but practically
rust free from a nice guy in Portland, OR. She's at
Cotrofeld's now...

Cheers!

Andy Allen
'66 Corsa 140