<VV> wheel restoration--no Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue Jan 10 14:15:45 EST 2006

Just for your amusement, I had two sets of very rare Mini Cooper rims in
the same basic condition...one with a painted rim and the other with a
polished rim.

The ones with the painted rim went out for professional media blasting
and powder coating. Prior to power coating, they sanded down the edge
gouges and I think actually used a little filler (in cosmetic areas
only) to smooth out the appearance. Except for some unfortunate
outgassing of the magnesium during curing, the refinish was very acceptable.

However, with the polished rims, I knew this procedure would not work as
well.  On those rims, I sanded down the painted centers by hand, primed,
painted with Rustoleum Metallic black (gives a dark grey appearance that
sparkles in the sun). Then I set about trying to figure out how to make
the polished rim look better.

Following the guidance from an old  UK restorer, I bolted the wheel to
the jacked up Mini, started the car, and put in first gear at idle.
(WARNING: THIS IS POTENTIALLY VERY UNSAFE AND I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THAT
ANYONE TRY IT.) If I did my math correct (idle speed 1000rpm, 1st gear
ratio 3.525, final drive 2.95) this gave me roughly 100rpm. This was a
very workable speed and I used a combination of different sandpapers, 3M
pads, and aluminum polish to smooth down the rough rim (not to show
quality but to a very acceptable driver quality) and bring it to a high
luster. I did foul out a set of plugs doing all 4 rims... ;-) but also
found out I needed a 1/4" spacer to clear the brake calipers in the front.

Bill Elliott