<VV> Monza vs. Honda fun!

Eric S. Eberhard flash at vicspdi.com
Tue Jan 10 16:42:42 EST 2006

I always love the posts because there is so much fantasy in them :-)

A 2006 Honda Civic (an economy car) does zero-60 in 7.2 seconds and
gets 31mpg and has 200hp while not weighing a lot more than a Corvair
(2800 lbs).

A Dodge Neon SRT (hopped up economy car) manages 5.6 seconds zero-60.

Honda Accord, 6.7 seconds.  Hyundai Elantra, 8.0 seconds, Toyota
Camry, 7.6 seconds, VW 4 cyl Jetta 7.1 seconds.

Mini vans (soccer moms): Honda Odyssey, 8.5 seconds, Nissan Quest,
8.2 seconds, etc.

The stinking hybrids are between 10 and 11 seconds 0-60.  These are
about the slowest thing you can now find.  The fastest is apparently
the new Bughatti, at 2.5 seconds!!!!

The best I can find for a Corvair (and would be a turbo) is 10-11 second range.

Meaning in most situations it is highly unlikely that a stock Corvair
will beat ANY modern car at 0-60 including hybrids, pickups,
mini-vans, and economy cars.

I certainly would not bet my pink slip on a drag race with much of
anything modern.

Can you find documented evidence of any new Honda that is slower than
a Corvair -- especially any "performance" oriented Honda?

At 09:57 PM 1/7/2006, you wrote:
>Hello Corvair friends,
>
>Beautiful saturday in Salt Lake City today.  Should be all snow and
>ice...but instead 51 degrees.  Decided to uncover the vair after 3
>months of restful winter sleep.
>
>Took the cover off...fired right up..headed to the store.  Successful
>trip to Lowes then the fun began.  To come home I got on the onramp,
>two lanes wide.  Next to me was a new Honda Accord..we were going neck
>to neck about 10 miles an hour accelerating toward the freeway.  I
>decided that it was time to "clean the secondaries out" (been sitting
>in the garage to long, right?) so I punched it.  To my surprise the
>Honda decided that he would too!
>
>The acceleration was a blast, speed at the merge on to the freeway was
>80 mph, the Honda....several car lengths behind me.
>
>PURE JOY!
>
>Wayne Broadhead
>1966 Marina Blue Monza with Honda eating 140/ 4 speed.
>Bonneville Corvair Club

This email sent by:

Eric S. Eberhard
(928) 567-3727          Voice
(928) 567-6122          Fax

928-301-7537 -- you may call any time day or night, I turn it off
when I sleep :-)  Please try to use a land line first (reception often poor).

For Metropolis support and VICS MBA Support!!!!

http://www.vicspdi.com

Completely updated web site of personal pictures with many new
pictures!  Includes horses, dogs, Corvairs, and more.

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/index.html

NEW Corvair pictures including the Judson setup on our 62 Sedan and
lots of pictures of Cheryl's 62 Monza Wagon (with Kelsey-Hayes wire wheels).

http://www.vicspdi.com/ourpics/corvairs.html