<VV> hosed

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 00:08:16 EST 2006

Hey gang,
At the risk of being told to go elsewhere, does anyone
have an idea to make this easier?
I'm working on getting Orange Crush out of group red,
and have wasted three hours on trying to reach the fan
end of the fresh air hose. It is a LM with PG so of
course there's a couple extra tubes in the way.
I'm working on my back with the car on the ground and
drivetrain in the car, so I see six possible ways of
getting to the clamp on the fan:
1) Grow two U-joionts in my left arm and one in my
left eye, so I can both reach the clamp and see it.
2) Pull the starter and find that arm extension I have
ratholed somewhere so I can work from the wrong side,
also blindly.
3) Drop the drive train out of the car and have a nice
clear shot.
4) pull the shroud between the engine and the firewall
in hopes I can work through the narrow space.
5) Yank the rear tire and work blind from the wrong
side of the fan.
6) Yank the tire and somehow find the bolts holding
the fan in place, so I can turn it and change the
hose, then bolt it back up.
The larger hoses are toast as well, but they really
aren't in the way once I've shredded them.
I've also run into some under-the-car damage that
could possibly be repaired if I know the best method.
The right duct from the large hose to the tunnel has
damage where the bracket mounts it to the body. I'm
less concerned about the strength (still partially
attached) and more about the air leak. This looks like
a job for duct tape or maybe aircraft speed tape, but
I'm inclined to think something more permanent would
stand me better. It isn't a show car, so finding a new
one or spending hours in a junkyard is pretty much
overkill.
Any thoughts, other than RTFM (don't happen to have
the FM)?

Chuck Kubin