<VV> Common VV acronyms........little Corvair

Paul Rollins s_debaker at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 16 12:21:49 EST 2006

At 09:14 PM 1/15/2006 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:19:35 -0600
>From: "Rick Loving" <ral1963 at comcast.net>
>Subject: <VV> Common VV acronyms........little Corvair
>To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>

>Since I have been on VV, I have seen many acronyms used and recorded
>quite a few.
>
>Here is collection of those that I have recorded, just in case anyone
>needs to decipher a post...
>
>FLAPS = Friendly local auto parts store (Big name chains.Napa, Autozone,
>Pepboys, Advance, etc.)

>Rick Loving

Thanks for the list of acronyms. FLAPS is the only one I question. My
understanding of this one is that is specifically NOT big name chains like
Napa, Autozone, Pepboys, Advance, etc. To me, FLAPS is the locally-owned
and operated, old-line auto parts store where someone actually knows
something about cars. In the chain stores when I bring in a part for
replacement I usually get the "Whuzzat?" response, followed by "I only know
what's in our computer." At the FLAPS,  I show them the part and they say
"That looks like it's off a '63, but '61 to '65 are all the same. When you
put this new one on, don't overtorque it. they'll warp." Or similar,
helpful response.

IMHO, the national chains are only good sources for fuzzy dice and motor
oil on sale.

Obviously, I prefer to deal with people who know something about cars. I
want to keep them in business, because they will carry parts for the
oddball (that is, other than post 1990 Honda and GM) cars I drive and work on.

Paul