<VV> IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Jan 18 10:32:42 EST 2006

The distribution number (# 1110330),with its associated advance
curve, and static timing should match the heads (18 degrees
BTDC).   Idle quality is almost total dependant on the valve overlap
of the cam timing.  With a 216 degree cam (at 0.050 lift), it should
idle at 650-700 rpm when the engine is broken-in (1,000 miles or
so).  Before the engine is broken-in, the friction of the rings
against the rough cylinders and the extra oil in the combustion
chambers prevent a stable low idle.   With a new cam (non roller) and
lifters all cam manufactures recommend that you run the engine for 30
minutes at about 2,000 rpm to bed the cam and lifters in.
Your engine sounds ok except for the valve noise and that usually
takes about 20-30 minutes to quiet down on a new rebuild.  Your
download speed here was 9-10 kB/sec on a 75 kB/sec dsl line.
Jim Davis