<VV> Need high speed access advice--NO CORVAIR

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Wed Jan 18 14:55:37 EST 2006

One little addition - since this is my bread and butter:

HTTPS is indeed quite secure.  But the user should verify (mouse over or
click the padlock in the browser window frame) that the server that issued
the security certificate is the same one (or at least the same domain name)
as the one you're supposed to be connected to.  A lot of phishing scams use
things like browser redirects to a not-really-trustworthy HTTPS server.

Which brings me to my other point:  >90% of the people who are cheated in
online transactions do it to themselves.  My online bank makes it
abundantly clear that they never, ever, send unsolicited emails with
clickable links in them to account holders.  Just about every other
reputable financial business has a similar policy.  All of the network and
browser security in the world won't protect you from your own naivete, or
greed.  If you ever have any doubt about the genuineness of an email, go to
the parent site yourself by *typing* in the main web address (URL) by hand
(eg: www.citibank.com).  If you log in and can't find any mention of the
content of the email, then you may assume it was a phishing
attempt.  Businesses all know that there's no such thing as an urgent
email.  you should make the same assumption.

Corvair content:  Lots of people buy and sell Corvair stuff on
Ebay.com.  Lots of phishing scams target ebay account holders.  I recently
got a bogus "power seller upgrade mail" from a phisher.  Shop carefully.