<VV> Carburetor Conundrum

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 18 23:10:35 EST 2006

If the car would start and STAY RUNNING on the ether
(starting fluid), the fuel line isn't frozen. If this wasn't
the case and you needed to keep spraying ether to keep 'er
going, I'd be in the frozen line camp.

Yeah, it's possible the accelerator pump diaphragms could be
marginal and fail to function well in cold weather.  See if
you can see them squirt on a warm day.  If they "never"
work, you'd notice plenty of driveability demerits on every
step down maneuever ... sound slike that isn't the case, though.

Wait for it to warm up and see how they work then. I suspect
the issue is a 42 year old car that has survived this long
and doesn't want to be used as a winter beater ;-) Hope you
have less salt on your 15-25 degree roads than we do...

Let us know what you find out-

Jim Burkhard