<VV> Re: Spark Plugs...

Ed Dowds ed_dowds at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 09:20:16 EST 2006

Ryan-
There should be no problem running both resistor plugs and resistor wires.
I've been doing it for years in all my cars.
The differences in the plugs:
44FF is threaded slightly longer than the 44F
"R" is for resistor (you already knew this)
"S" is for entended tip (this means the center portion of the plug is
longer, not the threads)
On AC plugs the heat range gets hotter as the number goes up. This refers to
how the plug transfers its heat to the head, not how it fires. A higher
number (hotter) plug does not transfer heat to the head as fast. This means
the tip stays a little hotter to burn off any deposits.
GM usually specified cooler plus on hipo engines. I suspect that they
thought hipo engines ran hot enough to burn off deposits with a cooler heat
range.
The down side of hotter range plugs is that they tend to burn material off
the electrode more easily.
                                Ed