<VV> Re: Synthetic Oil Lesson - No Corvair

mmcguire at hiwaay.net mmcguire at hiwaay.net
Thu Jan 19 12:48:43 EST 2006

Humm,

strange.  I ussually alway check my synthetic oil level dead cold and in the
same spot in the driveway.  It will ussually read lower if it's warm- I'm
assuming the oil is coating everything inside and takes longer to return to the pan.

It's always a good idea to run your first synthetic oil change a short
interval-maybe 2 or 3 thousand miles.  It's strong additive package can clean
out the junk and overload the oil.  Generally, I think it's noticeable by
monitoring oil consumption- when it suddenly goes up- change the oil.  Not
scientific method.

Our family daily drivers we use Mobil 15/50 for the 300E and 5W40 for the TDI.
I go 6 months on the MB and change it.  The TDI, we go 7500 miles between
changes knowing it can go twice that just in case I cannot get around to
changing it.

Michael