<VV> Spark plugz

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Jan 19 18:13:19 EST 2006

Lest anybody be confused the so-called "proper" (or at least
originally intended) Corvair plug is the FF series, not the
F series. The FF plugs have been scarce for so long that
people seem to forget what is the original plug.  But unless
you have a key to my garage (which has a big box of them),
you can't find FF plugs, so people use the F series plugs as
substitutes. It is indeed threaded short.

You can generally get away with this, but it could
conceivably cause problems if you run F series plugs for a
while and then try switching to a full-threaded plug like an
FF, FFS (Jim Davis explains the FFS well), or somebody
else's with similar shell geometry.  In that case, you
should run a thread chaser *before* the new plugs down
through the holes before switching to clear the "dam" of
accumulated carbon.

Jim Burkhard