<VV> Need an interpreter, please

Kent Sullivan kentsu at corvairkid.com
Sat Jan 21 12:51:42 EST 2006

Hey John,

Could you clarify a few things? Too many pronouns in your post below for me
to be sure of what you're saying. :-)

I THINK you are saying:

1) E code headlights are way better than sealed beam headlights.
2) Cibie makes the best E-code headlights.
3) The best Cibie E-code product is the Complex Surface Reflector unit.
4) The non-CSR Cibie E-code unit is also fine--still better than sealed
beam.
5) Don't bother with HID sealed beams--they are junk.

What I am not sure about is with which lights you recommend a relay. My
understanding was that the CSR units did not need them because the reflector
design was able to provide great light without the extra amperage.

I have some vintage non-CSR Cibies in my '66 500 coupe (H1/H4--all four
lamps) and love them. I definitely have a relay there--makes a huge
difference (and also keeps my headlight switch from melting when the high
beams are on :-).

Does Cibie still make non-CSR E-code units that fit the Corvair? I was under
the impression that one had to be lucky and find some vintage units like I
did.

Thanks.