<VV> Headlights refinished

BBRT chsadek at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 23 17:12:28 EST 2006

Well, the headlight capsules - covers-"lenses" are refinished, more or less.  I tried polishing first. Helped but really didn't do the job. So I used 1000 sandpaper wet or dry -one can use steel wool. Next 1200 and wanted to go higher in grit, but the paint shop was back-ordered on the 1500 and 2000. After the sandpaper, I went to a wool polishing pad with fine rubbing compound with the drill-power.  Then the same pad with cleaner wax. I need to get plastic polish that is available.

Results-well... they are over a 100% better and pretty clear.  Mine are not clear like the newer ones on the 03 Silverado. But, I needed another workout with finer grit.  The fine compound did a good job.  And I need to finish up with plastic polish. When I find the finer sandpaper, I will go back to that step and start from there. Then fine compound and plastic polish. One other thing. I noticed there was grime on the Truck headlights like the film that gets on the windshield that nothing seems to take it off, except glass polishing, Bon Ami, or Coca Cola...  I polished it off.

Several folks helped with ideas including the Permatek polishing kit that includes the finer sandpaper. Generally, their advice was as I followed.  Some had decent results; others were not satisfied. Thanks to all who responded off-line.

This effort keeps me from spending around $200 ea for the capsules. I can spend that on the Corvairs!

Chuck S
BBRT