<VV> Headlight lens? Slight Corvair

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Jan 23 21:40:23 EST 2006

At 09:53 hours 01/23/2006, mmcguire at hiwaay.net wrote:

>T"
>
>My 98 Sebring cpe has the outer lenses getting a coating that will scrape off
>leaving the scrape marks.  It is like oxidation and may be. Any suggestions on
>how to clean it? Regular cleaners won't touch it. Or what to buffer/polish it
>with to remove it?
>"
>
>Chuck,
>
>I believe that like most new cars the lens is polycarbanite or some
>plastic.  I
>think you can take some 2000 grit sandpaper (maybe start with 1500),
>then follow
>with some polish to remove the scratches.

Been there done that, use lacquer finishing paper and some soapy
water, sand until the fogging is gone.   Depending on whether it's a
Ford or a Mopar (Fords were worse) it will come clear eventually,
whereupon you can buff it back with some rubbing compound and a car
polisher.  If you wanna get tricky after getting it clear again, you
can shoot the lenses with some urethane clearcoat  to help keep them
from oxidizing again.

Interestingly enough, Sunday while at a buddy's place, we sanded and
polished the headlight lenses of his Chrysler LHS.   A couple of
weeks ago, another guy and I attempted to salvage the lenses on an
early 90s Mustang.   They were really bad, surface cracking and
eroding and so fogged they hardly cast enough light to make a serious
shadow.   They cleaned up a bit, enough to work "OK" but not what I'd
call good.   Maybe more sanding and polishing might do more good,
although some of the surface "haze cracking" seemed to extend pretty
deep into the lens material which was also getting a bit brown to
suit my tastes.   And to top it off, they're damned expensive pieces
of plastic and the ones in junkyards are no better; you gotta buy new
to get a good one.

The sealed beams on the Vairs are ancient and still clear and
bright.    My '60 is still sporting what are possibly its original
headlights.   I've never changed any of them in the 22 years I've
owned the car and I seem to remember looking closely at them and
noting that they were all the same.   I'll have to check again...  ;)

tony..