<VV> Chuck Kubin - illegal lights in Corvairs

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Jan 26 11:43:11 EST 2006

Sealed beans headlights have not been required since 1974 by
FHVSS.  What is required now is that each type light be submitted for
approval.  If that light or reflector is approved, the manufacture
must cast the letters DOT in the reflector lens.  Any type of bulb
may be used; as long as, it is approved for use with that reflector
and does not exceed 55 watts total draw on low bean and 55 watts per
light on high beam. Operation with more than four forward facing
head, driving, or fog lights on at the same time is
illegal.  Specifications for approval (cutoff, width, spread in
lux/sqmeter, max and min, are specified).
It all seems reasonable to me.  I manage to see quite well with my
Sylvania extra vision sealed beams (which are DOT approved)  with all
the old guy eye problems. :-)  I have yet to burn one out in five
years.  I always operate my Covairs with the headlights on.
Jim Davis