<VV> Re:Car names.. All corvair 24/7

Tareece at aol.com Tareece at aol.com
Thu Jan 26 21:15:22 EST 2006

Chuck

Now see, I can relate here.
  My first car ever, a 66 monza sedan, was named oilslik. That name  was
given by my parents! The car leaked no matter how many o-rings we changed.  What
irked me was that we got a personalized plate for  it. And after  thinking of
all the great macho names I could, my mom put OILSLIK at the top of  the list.
I was not happy when the State of North Carolina issued that plate to  me.
  The first Corvair we ever had was named "Smokey". Also a 66 monza
sedan..It was bought from a car dealer in 1975 with a caved in right side...My  dad
did all the bodywork and made that baby right... Anyways, after  straightening
the right side we all (dad mom, 1 brother and me) went on  our first short ride
in it...Well, if anyone ever watched the original  Cheech and Chong movie,
one would have a visual reference about how the car  looked after going down the
road 4-5 miles later. I'll always remember how  we all bailed out choking on
the oily smokey fumes.
    Our second well used Vair was a 1960 ULTRA. It was named  "Rusty", mainly
due to the fact, my Dad used to say, "It was held together  by nothing else."
The car had atleast 7 shades of blue on it...From baby blue to  sky blue to
royal blue...It was seriously funny to look at...One quick story  about it. My
brother had a Comet and was a volunteer fireman.AND he was  keen on being the
first to respond to any call
 . Well, my Dad would let us use "Rusty" as an emergency  backup. Well,
someone came up to my Dad at a gas station as he was filling  up a Vair and said,
"Man, the only other one I've seen like this is one is  one that one of our
guys use in our department."
   "Oh yeah?," my Dad says.
   "Oh yeah...That car is tough. The kid isn't afraid to take it
anywhere...Through pastures, in woods, anywhere! Oh heck that thing just  FLIES over
everything in its way. Never gets bogged down or nothin'."
    Oh yeah...My dad was reeeeealll proud.
     My Dad says now, "Now I understand how all  the dirt and tree limbs
became stuck in the front and rear  suspension."
 Needless to say my brother altered his response technique from there  on.
LOL  funny stuff.
   Hope u enjoyed, I know I did in the  retelling.....

Todd Reece
65 Corvair Monza  Vert