<VV> Door Speakers (other questions too.)

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 27 11:31:12 EST 2006

The doors were not made for speakers, but there is sufficient room to
add some. It does require cutting both the door and the door panel,
something which even non-purists are loath to do. You really _have_ to
pull the panel to get the right location... and if you aren't careful
(and maybe even if you are) you can rip the clips out of the cardboard
panel, making it difficult (but not impossible) to fit correctly.

I added a powerful stereo to my late  without cutting much of anything
(just a few holes drilled). For the front, I pulled out the stock
speaker and installed a pair of quality dual cone speakers on a frame
made from Home Depot stock. (Similar to the vendor solutions but with
higher end speakers). Then, to help with stereo separation, piezo
supertweeters with built-in crossovers at the base (or the top in a
coupe) of the a-pillars.

Speakers in the rear of a couple are easy (I used Pioneer surface mounts
and a powered subwoofer, but were I to do it again I'd build a false
shelf floor and drop everything in flush) ; in a vert I found it easiest
to buy junkyard side panels and cut holes for 6x9's (just enough depth)
covered by vintage speaker grills.

Under the drivers seat I used a 3 channel amp, 2 channels driving the
rear speakers and the third driving a pair of bass shakers (one under
the drivers seat and one under the rear seat.. helps fill in the lower
end sound in the vert since there is no easy space for a sub) and a 12
disc changer under the hood. Head unit drives the front speakers and
tweeters directly.

Some pix of the install in my wife's vert:
http://fnader.com/images/Corvair_Monza_Convertible_67/Stereo/

Bill