<VV>Re: B-J

David Fasgold dfasgold at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 14:07:38 EST 2006

Padgett <pp2 at 6007.us> wrote:    These are more decorations than transportation.

Padgett
  Ain't that the truth! I just wrote a story in my paper about our local  Chevy dealer, who had 2 cars in the B-J auction this year, and 2 last  year. I went down to look at these cars--which were absolutlely  gorgeous.

  But the cars were so perfect that you could never really enjoy them.  Last year, the guy's 57 vette sold for $132,500. This year, his 1962  vette brought $124,000. His '32 Ford brought "only" $58,050. Here are  the links if anyone is interested:  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=182307
  http://www.barrett-jackson.com/auctionresults/common/cardetail.asp?id=182309

  Personally, I'm glad that a Corvair would never command these prices. I  view my Corvair as a bit of a trophy, but if I couldn't put it to good  practical use, I wouldn't want it. The only thing that bothers me about  Corvair prices is this--there are plenty of beat-up and worn-out 10 or  20 year old cars out there that people will pay several thousand  dollars for, but I would be lucky to find someone willing to pay $2,000  for my Corvair--which is a classic, runs and drives great, and still  looks pretty good. So, in the case of my Corvair, it makes the most  sense to keep it maintained and use it for cheap transportation when  the weather is decent.
  David