<VV> Yenko, but no Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 27 14:29:51 EST 2006

Yep, also called "Stingers". Rajaj turbo.

http://www.yenko.net/features/2001/January2001.htm
http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/sales-lit/bysub/coachbuilders/yenko/

 From copo.com:

YENKO STINGER VEGA HISTORY

The year was 1971 and Don Yenko was certain that his latest product
would be a winner.

Remembering back to 1966, Don's first undertaking, the Yenko Stinger,
had worked out well. The Corvair racing program had been very
successful, leading to a national SCCA championship. It took him some
time, but he was able to sell all of the 100 original units ordered and
had high hopes for future years of great Stinger sales. That all changed
with the introduction of the Camaro.

By early 1967, Don knew the Corvair program would end soon, and he
decided to make the natural jump to modifying Camaros. His Super Car
program was a modest success in 1967 and 1968, but it was too labor
intensive to continue.

Undaunted, Don was able to work this problem out by directly ordering
his Camaros and Chevelles from the factory during 1969. Sales were
excellent initially, aided by sales to his Super Car Dealers, but before
long. the insurance companies stepped in and made it almost impossible
for someone to insure these cars.

Don was again down but not beaten. In 1970, knowing that the days of the
Big Block bashers were numbered, decided to use the highest performance
small block that Chevrolet had in its arsenal, the 350 cubic inch LT-1.
He would continue the COPO program of having the performance package
installed by Chevrolet in the lightweight Nova. The Yenko Deuce ended up
to be a popular ride, selling 175 units. His success was again
short-lived, as new emmissions laws would but an end to the LT-1 engine
as we have known it.

Don decided not to fight this issue again, but to embrace the popularity
of the new small car market. He would take a popular car, the new 1971
Vega, improve the handling, and provide the necessary performance which
would make it a fun car to drive and enjoy. It was destined to be his
biggest success.

Calling his new product the Yenko Stinger, Don had hoped to bring back
the glory of the earlier Corvair years.

Don specially ordered his Vega GT Hatchback coupes with pistons which
could withstand the punishment of a turbocharger. He had intended to but
a Schweitzer supercharger on each car, but ultimately would not be able
to due to emmissions problems.

In addition to HD pistons, the Yenko Stingers came equipped with a
Holley electric fuel pump, anti hop traction bars, and optional Thrush
mufflers.

On the decorative side, front and rear spoilers were available, along
with neat body graphics.

Simulated rear window louvers and flared fenders completed the custom look.

SPECS:

Engine: 155 Horsepower 4 - Cylinder OHC

Z-29 handling package

13 x 6 Wheels with A70 White-Lettered tires

Torsion bar rear suspension

Alloy-Plated 8:1 Compression Forged Pistons

Custom Tailored Exhaust System

Transmission: Four-Speed

Differential 3.36:1 axle with Positraction

Z-29 Sport Wheel and Full Instrumentation

The Vega Stinger came with a full factory warranty. Turbochargers had a
Yenko 90 day/4000- mile warranty.

The Yenko Stinger Vega was introduced on January 26, 1971 at the Speed
Equipment Manufactures Association show at Anaheim, California.

Stinger sales extended through the mid-1970's.

Bill Elliott