<VV> wood wheel and Hub ID

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 14:59:40 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/27/2006 11:08:31 AM Pacific Standard Time,
go-and-do at knology.net writes:

Even  though that's a mystery in itself, I'm not interested in solving
it.   What I DO want to know is, WHAT is this wheel for?  Could it be for
one of the other GM makes, such as the Corvette, Impala, or  Chevelle?
The shaft diameter it fits is approximately 3/4 inch, and  the part # on
the hub is: *3845286

If anyone has some concrete  knowledge on this subject and/or has a
Hollander Interchange manual or  some other way to look up this part
number to tell me the correct  application, I would greatly appreciate
it.  My auction ends at  6:00pm, Central time today (Friday)

Thank you in advance!

Blaine  Sanders

Well, Blaine, I can tell you this. The wheel is a Corvair part, used  through
1966. The hub is not a Corvair part. All 64-66 Corvairs used the small
spline (Unique in GM) - except the 65-66 telescoping columns, which used the  large
spline. The 60-63 and the 67-69 also used the large spline - the same one
that your hub has. It is common to almost every other GM car. There were no
factory wood wheels on Corvairs in 1963 (The 64's are quite  rare). The 64 Wood
Wheel hub was unique because it used the small spline  but the shallow depth of
the early model. All 60-64 Corvairs used a shallower  depth steering wheel,
the 65-up used a very deep wheel design. The 65-66 "Sport  Wheel Option" which
used the same wheel as the one you have, used a different  hub. It had the
same small spline but was about 5" tall, to being the shallower  wood wheel up
the the correct position for 65-66. It used a stamped sheetmetal  cover. I
believe your hub is from another GM car of the era, likely a 65-66  Chevelle or
Impala or Chevy II. They all used the larger spline, but would  have used the
same wheel. In 1967, all the GM cars went to a three spoke wheel  for the wood
wheels, with shear pins attaching the lower spoke - I believe for  safety
reasons. Those hubs are easy to identify, since the mounting surface for  the wheel
is on two levels. They still use the same 6-bolt pattern, but the  lower two
bolts are dropped in further.  Anyway, the good news is that
Impala/Chevelle/even Chevy II restorers are more likely to pay you more than the  notoriously
"frugal" Corvair restorers. Do note that the hub will not fit the  1964-66
Corvairs. Even though it would attach to the tele-column models,  the hub would
block any attempt to install the wheel locking mechanism. AS you  have already
found out, of course, it would make a great addition to any  1960-1963 Corvair.
- Seth Emerson