<VV> Yenko Vega Saga..sound familiar?

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Fri Jan 27 19:44:24 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/27/2006 4:36:20 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rgubser at zoomtown.com writes:

> A friend of mine (now deceased) bought a new Yenko Vega in 1971,  bright
> blue with a black interior. It was a great-looking car that mechanically was a
> piece of junk. Every time he drove it there was a 50% chance it would be
> brought home by a wrecker. The cam drive belt kept flying off, even if the car
> was being driven in moderate fashion. I suspect Yenko had milled the head and
> had upset the cam drive geometry as a result.  After about a year and a half
> he just parked the car outdoors at his parents' house and it was still there
> when he died in the late 1980's. It was subsequently sold by his estate and I
> never saw it again.
*******
Ralph!  have you ever looked at a Vega engine?  Like ours...NOT TOO
TIGHT....the waterpump was the belt tensioner......waterpump bearings are not
precision...and  can take the torsional loads of the alternator, etc...but not the
Valvetrain....

Your buddy was a typical American motorist.....trusted the DEALER... or any
Glitzy Auto Repair Shop...most likely.......who just kept putting a new belt on
the OLD Adjustment...........his loss...and he wasn't alone..........how many
times have we heard horror stories about our Vairs....and snicker at how
easily they could've been fixed..RIGHT???

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug