<VV> RE: CAR UPDATES??

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 28 18:33:55 EST 2006

Well....If you really gotta know.  Daisy Mae ('66 turbovert) has been
undergoing some 21st century upgrades.  She is slowly becoming the
benefactor of factory A\C.  I'm doing the front mounted condenser as a turbo
is kinda heat challenged as it is without adding another big heat load.
Simultaneously with the A\C, she is getting a new set of instruments ala
VDO.  At least I'll have a cylinder heat temp gauge that reads in degrees.
I thought up something kinda neat as a warning device.  The output of both
idiot lights is connected together via diodes and goes to a really LOUD
piezo buzzer.  To keep the thing from shouting at you before the engine is
started, I'm powering the beeper with a "engine running" signal from a three
way oil pressure switch.  I've just got to make sure that the idiot light
sender makes contact at a higher pressure than the three way switch.
Lastly, an alarm system and keyless entry complete the task.  All of this
work happens at the curb in front of my house and the garage has been
absorbed into my wife's collection of old magazines.  At least the street is
in California.  The car is not exactly a candidate for group red as it can
be driven, but with a rats nest of wires hanging right now, I'd rather not.
Jim B.