<VV> RE: CAR UPDATES??

Brown, David David.Brown at bsci.com
Sat Jan 28 19:48:04 EST 2006

OK Matt, here's another-
My wife, Gail, has been complaining for several years at our club
meetings that she didn't have a Corvair (I have my 69 cp & my son has a
65 cvt), so I found an embarrassingly cheap 65 4-dr sedan, 110/PG that
kinda needs "the works".  The body is excellent with just one medium
sized rust hole on the lower rear fender below the battery (go figure)
which will be easy to fix.

So far, I have pulled the right head (running on 5) & found a bad
piston.  I just acquired a free (used) piston, plus some new rings which
will hopefully give me a 'good' motor to use while I fix up the car, but
I haven't put it back together yet.  In the meantime, I pulled the gas
tank (it's been sitting since 1988) which was severely rusted out
(mostly the sides & top where condensation developed inside) and already
have another one restored using (in order) MEK, muratic acid, tank
sealer (yes, I've heard all of the pros & cons!) on the inside, and
POR-15 silver paint on the outside.  I figure it will last 15-20 years
at least.

The car is Glacier Gray, but she wants it to be Evening Orchid.  The
body will need very little work to get it ready for paint.  It came
without seats (front & rear), but I already found a set from a 98 Escort
(they're supposed to fit with little effort).  These will be
re-upholstered (she's still deciding) to match the paint.

I still have to o'haul the brakes before I can drive it home (it's still
at a friend's house an hour away) so I can get serious with it.  I will
later upgrade to a duel master cylinder (from a 67 Monza) that I have.
I will also put a nice after market AC system in it with a trunk mounted
condenser & under dash mounted evaporator/fan (I already have most of
the parts purchased from Greg Riley).  I will keep the back up lights,
but I want to install a nice 3rd brake light at the top of the rear
window (there's no headliner now, so wiring will be easy).  I will also
install a nice stereo system with good speaker orientation.  In addition
to what I've gotten from VV recently (thanks guys!), I will visit a
local sound shop(s) to get some more ideas.  I will quiet the car down
with sound proofing/deadener as much as possible as well.

This will hopefully be a nice looking, practical & enjoyable driver that
she will enjoy driving.  Always thinking ahead, I suggested that a
purple car with purple interior might be hard to sell, she said,
"SELL???  WE'RE NOT GOING TO SELL THIS CAR!!", so I guess I need to do
it right the 1st time!

Dave
Corvair Houston
69 Monza cp, 140/4