<VV> Progress report

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 10:43:27 EST 2006

Since Matt Nall has been wondering what everyone is up to, here is my story:
I no longer have a Corvair with a steel body.  My Corvairs are all dune
buggies!
I've been converting my fiberglass bodied Corvair street buggy from a
4-speed to a Powerglide for easier cruising.  I did the Woodward Dream
Cruise with it last year and my left leg just about fell off from holding
the clutch pedal down.  The conversion is now finished and I'm trying to
figure out what to do with 8' of extra shift cable.  I made an aluminum
floor mounted box for the shifter, so it is only about 3' from the trans to
the shifter.  it appears I can coil up the excess and clip it to the inside
of the frame rails under the floor.  This buggy does not have a VW floor
pan, it is all steel box tubing with a Corvair front end.  Also need to
figure out how to put a cable operated parking/emergency brake on the
vehicle to make it legal.  When it was a 4-speed I just left it in gear but
a PG doesn't have a park position.  Maybe carry a couple pieces of 2x4 to
wedge under the rear tire :-).
My sand rail was running fine the last time I used it so it is parked in the
12x20 Cover-It tent out in the back yard.  It is 140HP 4-carbs with '66
4-speed and 3.89 4-spider axle.
I started building a mid-engine sand drag buggy (single seat) but had some
issues trying to hook a 3-rib VW bus trans with CV joints to late Corvair
axles so that project is on hold and is hanging from the rafters in my
garage.
After the drag races at Lexington at the 2004 CORSA convention, I got
interested in pavement racing again.  So I started building a single seat
fiberglass bodied buggy for the paved drag strips.  It will also run a
Powerglide with a high stall convertor and a 140HP engine with turbocharger.
My goal is to beat Billy Bruce for fast time of the day at the next drag
event.  Not sure there will be drag races at Buffalo but we will have them
at our 2007 CORSA convention in Detroit.
Clark Hartzel