<VV> RE: Rust Free Cars from CA

Darrin Hartzler dhartzler at ifc.org
Mon Jan 30 11:03:27 EST 2006

I lived in Los Angeles for about ten years just over ten years ago....so I
know the true joy of a completely rust free CA Corvair.   Still cannot
believe I sold my 63" Spyder when I left....

But I live on the East Coast now, in Maryland in the DC metro area.   I
spent the weekend replacing the front floors in my 66' Monza vert that
spent most of its life in Detroit.

On the one hand, I am doing a fair amount of work and learning and buying
tools (welder, sand blaster, monster compressor...heaven!) as I go, so it
is sort of expensive and time consuming to do it right.   BUT, when I am
done, I will have saved a car that was well worth saving, but which has
already had several patch panels put in place.   This is all to the good
and the car only cost me $500 two years ago....because when I am done
welding this thing all together....I WILL DRIVE IT.   When it needs
additional patching, I will do that as well...though I may be too old by
then as I am doing a good job on these floors ; )

If I came to visit old friends in LA and bought a totally rust free
car.....I would consider it a crime to drive it here on the East Coast
because I know what the result would be.    I may eventually do this when
I get to the point that I want a show car that will not see much daylight,
but not for a show and go driver like my yellowcar.

Final factor is my wife.   If I buy a car from some guy in Germantown (20
miles away) she does not really pay too much heed and merely is a bit
amused.   If I start to plan a trip to CA for a car, of all things, well,
alarm bells would certainly sound...

All this may be negated by global warming.   All the cars in CA will
eventually melt while we here on the Eastern seaboard will be surfing next
to the palm trees on the Jersey shore....60+ here today in DC, so we are
on our way!

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD
66' YellowMonza
68' Camaro
92 LeBaron 3.0 V6 with 5 speed (just added to the stable...she goes!)