<VV> LED taillights

Larry Forman larry at forman.net
Mon Jan 30 13:22:37 EST 2006

Hi John,
MANY thanks for all of us on this good info.  As for the issue of the flasher, which will not work at the lower current, why not just wire up a resistor to ground to force more current through the flasher and it should work fine?  This could be mounted right next to the flasher under the dash.  I realize it hogs and trashes current, but with the LEDs not being very subject to burnout, the non-flashing "feature" for a burned out lanp is no longer needed.  I would need to figure out what the required resistance and wattage would be, but it should not be difficult to measure the nominal flashing current on a stock system, then measure the current drain with the brakes on and the flasher not working right, then just calculate the needed current differential at about 14 volts and viola, you have the needed resistance to add under the dash.  The wattage would be 14 squared divided by the new resistor and then throw in a derating factor of 2-5X added wattage for longevity.  The resistors would be different when running LED side lamps in addition to the rear turnsignals.

-- Larry