Fwd: <VV> Steering Box Replacement/Naval Jelly

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 20:19:38 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/28/2006 1:39:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, ronh at owt.com
writes:
I've spent years removing the pitman arm from the gear box.  Pullers get
bent to uselessness, propane bottles get emptied, nothing works.  And oh
yes, I've tried the two hammer system until I was exhausted.  The pitman arm
is still on the box in a corner somewhere.

RonH

You aren't alone.  I was using the puller and two hammers on the Greenbrier
box.  Takes a lot of maturity not to just beat the heck out of the whole
thing--or maybe it popped loose just in time.  I did take a pitman arm off a 65
Monza using just the puller--but after I had used naval jelly on it over several
days.  It dissolved all the rust and left clean (but pitted metal).  A small
wire brush, naval jelly and a puller can work wonders if you have the time.

By the way--using naval jelly to clean the top row of head studs before you
try to remove the nut also works well.  All the rust is gone before you try to
break the nut loose and there is no rust left to jam the nut threads.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair