<VV> Pertronix II installation woes

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jul 1 13:56:43 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/1/2006 10:10:35 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
johnvujovich at hotmail.com writes:

a  Ignitor II / Flamethrower II setup.  I
have followed the wiring  directions exactly and all are clean and tight on
my 65 Corsa  140.
Heres the issue--During 1-2 second start attempts, all I get is a case  of
rapidly heating wires coming from the control module inside the  distributor
cap accompanied by smoke.
I am hoping that I haven't  already fried this thing.  Same thing happened
last yr using the  previous version of Pertronix; yet I ran one for a couple
of yrs w/o any  issues.
I am taking all suggestions to help me get my Vair back on the  streets..
Thanks for any/all advice!
-John

Let's see. The module has two wires coming from it. A red one and a black
one if I remember correctly. Right?
The red one goes to +12 volts and the black one goes to the negative
terminal on the coil. Is this correct?
If so, then to get smoke you have to have the +12 being grounded someplace  I
think. So are you SURE that the wires aren't being pinched going into the
distributor? Grounding the red or shorting red to black could cause the problem.
 Otherwise it's hard to see how the unit could be smoking unless it's bad.
Regards,
Bob Helt