Fwd: <VV> Steering diagnosis - Pittman shaft spline question (long)

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Jul 5 12:33:53 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/4/2006 11:10:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
paulsgt at aol.com writes:

> had to turn the wheels so they were pointed about 20 degrees to the right.
> I know the steering shaft is lined up correctly with the shaft coming out of
> the box, I can feel the steering box 'center' at the steering wheel with the
> pittman arm disconnected.

It sounds as if you are doing things by the numbers--which is critical.  To
be sure the steering box is "on center" when the pittman arm is removed
CAREFULLY (don't let it bounce at the end) turn the steering wheel each direction and
count the total turns, then turn it back to the middle by going back exactly
one half of the total number.  It is harder than it seems.  You say the wheel
feels on center--but that isn't an accurate way to tell--only counting the
turns and halving the number will get you there.  You probably have a worn spot
in the box that is OFF center that just feels right.

Once you are sure the box is centered--no matter how much slack it has--you
can go to the rest of the linkage.  If you don't start with a centered steering
box then you can never get the rest of it right.  I'm glad you've survived so
far--I drove a sloppy box on one car for too long too--but God only looks
after Corvair owners for so long.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
'64 Brier
'65 Corsa
2 '68 Monzas (one that used to have really loose steering)