<VV> Donut Spare Tire

Rick Loving ral1963 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 7 12:04:53 EDT 2006

No correction needed....That's why I mentioned in my above post that I
would swap one tire front to rear (if I had a rear flat) and put the
space saver on the front.

The posi needs both tires to be the same size to function normally;
otherwise you will be causing undue wear to the clutch pack.

In last 15 years of Vair driving I have only had to change tires once on
my vair on the side of the road.  I would rather carry a space saver
spare, which means less weight and more space in the trunk and deal the
possibility of having to swap one extra tire (if you put the jack right
at the rear of the door jamb, both front and rear tires come off the
ground anyway) i9n case of the next flat I encounter.

Now if you have a flat on the front or don't drive a vair with a posi
rear-end you don't have any worries.

Rick Loving

Subject: RE: <VV> Donut Spare Tire

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The clutch pack in a posi is designed to send power to the slower
turning
wheel.  With one wheel a different diameter it would be constantly
engaged
and trying to deal with the different wheel speeds of the two different
diammeter wheels due to the undersized donut spare.

Regards,
Joel

"splain why it would burn out a posi.

Dave.. .