<VV> #4 misfire, exhaust 'spit'

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 7 19:46:13 EDT 2006

 I wont go into all the info, but the engine is rebuilt with all the good stuff. .060 over and new rings and valves and associated parts. Problem is #4 is misfiring,

   The left bank has a spit sound. The right bank sounds like a Corvair should. I pulled the #4 wire while the engine was running and the spit sound stops. It starts again when the wire is reattached. Oh yeah, the #4 spark plug did not appear like it was firing (others are a bit sooty, this one is too clean) when I pulled it. Compression is 150 +.

   New 7mm silicon wires did not cure the misfire, The cap is new and the petronics 2 is running 12 volts into a .6 ohm flamethrower. Engine starts at touch of the key, timing now at 12 degrees.

   Valves adjusted cold, then hot. I'm using 3/4 turn in after clatter. I am temped to try another hot adjustment on #4 exhaust (and maybe intake?) while listening to the exhaust.

   I had given the valves a slight lap prior to reinstalling and looked like a perfect line seal. There is only 50 miles on it (today) and ran like a 5 cylinder. Absolutely no other noise from the engine so it should not be a bad exhaust seat as they were all well in.

   I wont pull the head off again as I don't know what to look for and the national is too close with no time to mess with it.

   If I can't cure the misfire, I'll have to take the '69 convertible. I was hoping to give the 'trailer queens' a run for best in show, but not this time I guess.

   Anybody have a clue as for what to look for???

MIKE KOVACS