<VV> #4 misfire, exhaust 'spit'

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Jul 8 01:44:51 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/7/2006 4:47:52 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

The left  bank has a spit sound. The right bank sounds like a Corvair should.
I pulled  the #4 wire while the engine was running and the spit sound stops.
It starts  again when the wire is reattached. Oh yeah, the #4 spark plug did
not appear  like it was firing (others are a bit sooty, this one is too clean)
when I  pulled it. Compression is 150 +.

Mike,
Hard to say.....
Put your timing light on #4 to see if you are getting a spark.
Check the #4 valves for sufficient lift. Could be a worn cam lobe.
Does pulling the #4 wire affect the idle speed?
Are you sure you don't have a vacuum leak? Could cause a miss.
Hope that this helps....

Regards,
Bob Helt