<VV> #4 misfire, exhaust 'spit'

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jul 8 10:06:04 EDT 2006

At 01:45 AM 7/8/2006, you wrote:
>The left  bank has a spit sound. The right bank sounds like a Corvair should.
>I pulled  the #4 wire while the engine was running and the spit sound stops.
>It starts  again when the wire is reattached. Oh yeah, the #4 spark plug did
>not appear  like it was firing (others are a bit sooty, this one is too
>clean)
>when I  pulled it. Compression is 150 +.

I have heard a sound like that when the plug wire was loose and it was
arcing to the shroud. Might be a bad wire. Pull the wire completely and
there is no metal near to arc to. Might look for a carbon trail on the plug
boot. or inside the harp piece that goes over the plug. (or just try a
different plug wire).

Padgett