<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 18, Issue 26

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Jul 9 08:39:19 EDT 2006

John
      Depending on where one lives, and the level of envrionmentalism in
that area, determines the types of fuel available.
      In "Green" New England, there are nearly 70 different blends of
gasoline required by locality and state statute.  Very few of them are
"friendly" to antique/racing auto enthusiasts. This is one of the things
those Robber Baron Oil Companies say increases the price of gas for
everyone.

  Odd that one can drive from CT North thru RI and MA to ME, and West Thru
VT and NH in about 8 hours, but they require that many different summer and
winter blends to maintain air quality. I believe that in many cases these
ridiculous statutes were put in place by state legislators to give them the
"environmental" label to put them in good stead with the activist "greens"
for re-electability.
      In the home of Stock Car Racing, (NC) Citgo and Phillips 76 offer
"Purple" 100 or 104 octane at the pump.  Recent price increases have placed
it at 4.50 a gallon, but it was 4.00/gal back when regular was 1.39.  Just
as long as the car you're trying to put it in is older than 1973, you're
A-OK.  OF course you can also use a gas can.   You don't have to run it all
the time and not 100% mixture either, it cures a lot of ills, and smells
much like "real" gasoline when it is burned.
      Of course NASCAR burns leaded high octane fuel, one of the perks of
being at the race instead of home is you get to smell "REAL" gasoline
exhaust, and if you're old enough to remember it, it brings back memories as
soon as its odor is in the air.

Hank