<VV> RE: Terminology

Jim Corey jcorey at escapees.com
Mon Jul 10 16:10:49 EDT 2006

Clark:

I absolutely agree with you.  However, based on the responses to my thread
about my diff problems, common usage differs from the "book" terminology.
What you call the "case" is often called a "crown assembly". The 61 shop
manual calls it the "differential assembly" (Rear axle 6c-8, Differential
carrier disassembly item 8).

I think part of the problem is many people grew up working on "cars".  They
tend to use more generic descriptions of parts.  Others have entered the
mechanics world car specific, i.e.  Corvair.  They tend to use the book or
manual descriptions. Just my thought.

It's oft been said, problems are often just communication.

Jim Corey

63 Vert

64 Coupe

Both daily drivers