<VV> Pete's Engine

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Wed Jul 12 10:20:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 7/12/06 6:58:22 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ellispj at cogeco.ca writes:

> Recall that he has now removed the driver's side head and discovered that
> number 4 valves are burnt through near the seat (compression was 40 Ib.).

Phil,
All good suggestions. But I have to wonder. Timing variations, pinging,
detonation, etc almost always will burn a hole in the piston before anything else.
Apparently this wasn't his problem.

So I lean more toward improper seating of the valves. Valve burning in my
experience has always been insufficient cooling of the valves. Valves get their
cooling from their seat contact and also thru the stems/guides. This problem
could be due to a poor valve grind job, someting getting on the seats preventing
good contact, or maybe the valve adjustment being overtightened. I'd lean
toward the latter.
Regards,
Bob Helt