<VV> Oil Problem?

linda williams ste59lin at sonic.net
Sun Jul 16 13:05:52 EDT 2006

Good Morning VV owners!
I have rebuilt my '63 -  84 HP PG using good parts from brother Lon. Prior to initial fire up, I pumped oil pressure on TDC for one minute w/drill, rotated 360 degrees - same thing to prime oil passages, lifters, etc. Observed 45 PSI on S-W test gauge in pressure sender hole throughout both priming cycles. Upon initial fire up, lifters clattered hard; very warm air exhaust after 30 seconds, shut it off. Next day tried again; very warm; no apparent oil pressure. 45 PSI still showing on gauge. 3rd try, lifters suddenly started going quiet; after 2 minutes they quieted entirely. Still showing 45 PSI. Ran well through body & paint phase, lifters quiet on startup; sounded good. I finally had enough faith in it to drive it to work; a 45 mile round trip; ran great; several compliments for "nice ride". I felt good enough yet  to sell it to provide income for my newest project - a 64 Spyder Coupe. As luck would have it, while prospective customer was driving it, it started stalling; wouldn't idle; lifers becoming noisy. Customer said - no thanks. Since then, I've changed all ignition components, checked every vacuum connection, rebuilt both carbs, changed all intake gaskets; driving myself to distraction. Lifters sound totally flat; bare drizzle of oil into left valve cover; still 45 PSI. My book says oil systems regulated to 35 PSI - potentially blocked oil passage? I had block and rear housing professionally cleaned and everything looked perfect. Has anyone heard of such things occuring and what might cause the problem? I'm ready to make it into a pretty teal boat anchor! I'm sorry this is so lengthy, but it's the only way I know how to explain what is going on with my Vair. Any hints and assistance are sincerely appreciated. Have a good Sunday all.

Stevan G. Williams,
63 Monza 84 PG
64 Spyder Coupe
My 13th & 14th Vairs !!