<VV> Harmonic Balancer

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Jul 18 21:45:10 EDT 2006

Folks
Subject: <VV> Harmonic Balancer
I know this one wasn't Convention related, but it is related to my line of
business.

1st, Let me give my friend Smitty an "AMEN". I heard the story first hand at
a club meeting after it happened, and then in the Communique afterwards.
That true saga of his Breakdown on the Great Plains (to call it a story is
really doing it a dis-service) is without a doubt a "Hard Luck Story for the
Ages".  I doubt myself smart enough to figure out the things he did, and I
don't have his mechanical aptitude.  But if I had to go thru what he did on
that one trip, I don't think I'd be involved with Corvairs anymore.

2nd, I want to say that Smitty's historical summary of the why's and
wherefores of the Harmonic vibration problem is spot on. I listened to 2 SAE
engineers discuss this at a show in Florida recently.  Smitty might not be
an engineer, but he's sure got a tight hold on this issue. But after knowing
him for 18 years, this is what I have come to expect. I'm glad he gave an
overview, but he actually said it all with the first sentence. Good-O
Smitty!

3rd. Cadillacs and Packards in the late 30's had special harmonic balancers.
The only thing common to the engines is they're in-line 8 cylinders. As you
can see in the Packard listing below, no 6's, 120's(Junior 6's) and one of
the engines in the Super 8 Series.

>From the Steele Rubber Products 2006 Catalog

Read both the description and the price. Be Happy!
Vibration damper, crankshaft, front. Revulcanizing service for rubber
cushion elements. All models (except Six, 120's, and 1939 Super 8). This
includes assemblies #195918, 201075, 210647, 219921. Any parts needing
replacement beyond the friction disks, which we will replace if required,
will be your responsibility. Most units need only cleaning and
revulcanizing. Send us the entire unit. Timing calibrations will be kept
intact. Allow 2 to 3 weeks for service.

IMHO, Get you a balancer, get it rebonded, and put it on, I don't give a
hill of beans what the engine, or the Type of Vair it's in.
Dampening Torsional vibration is never a bad thing.

Hank