<VV> Re: Harmonic Balancer Y or N?

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Jul 19 07:26:10 EDT 2006

No, that's not the purpose of the balancer.  At a certain engine speed
(I would have to look it up) a standing wave forms due to bending of
the crank on the power cycles.  This effect is similar to the famous
suspension bridge (Google Tacoma Narrows bridge) that oscillated itself
to destruction and that will destroy the crank.  BTW, this is the
purpose of *all* harmonic balancers.  It has nothing to do with the
normal rotating balance of the engine.

I know there's a more in-depth explanation in one of the books -
probably the Tech Guide - as well as a number of books on building
engines.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa