<VV> Hard Luck

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Jul 20 21:19:50 EDT 2006

Smitty Says:  Sometimes there is hard luck and sometimes there is the other kind.  Worse luck!!  Took off for Nelson Ledges this morning with Spike on the tow bar.  Got 250 miles down the road, crusing along about 65 and heard this whap whap sound.  Nothing I had ever heard before.  I backed off the throttle a bit to see if it made a difference and the engine went from 3000 RPM to zero RPM in about a quarter of a second.  This was accompanyed by a big bang noise and then a whole lot of silence.  I looked and didn't see any rods sticking out of the top of the fan housing so I assume it was the Pertronix going bad or the electric fuel pump.  I know it wasn't the valves because I adjusted them cold.  Anyway the answer seemed to be to get it back home.  I climbed into Spike and fired him up.  Helen steered the wagon while I provided the motive power.  We are back home.  This will be the first convention since 1980 that I didn't drive a Corvair but I will see you there.