<VV> Clutch Trouble in Twinsburg

Marc Sheridan sheridanma at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 24 20:12:05 EDT 2006

Unfortunately, I practiced the clutchless technique most of this afternoon
:o). This thread started just before I left for Twinsburg and got paranoid
about my clutch cable, so I went out and put a glob of grease on the ball
end of the cable. Too little too late. About 5 miles after I left Nelson
Ledges for home, it popped. Nothing else to do, but drive it home. It was
rather stressful, but I made it.

I learned a few things along the way home: For one, Murphy's Law is alive
and well :o). If you don't have a clutch, most traffic lights you encounter
will turn red right before you get to them, especially the ones on an uphill
grade. My starter will move my car up a hill, but it won't do that and start
the car at the same time. Freeways are your friends when you have no clutch,
except when you hit a major city like Columbus at rush hour. All those
people you cuss when they run red lights aren't in front of you when you
want to run the light.

My clutchless trip was a little over 200 miles. Is that farther than from NH
to Brooklyn? Has anyone gone farther?

By the way, the clutch cable I bought about 35 years ago from the local
Chevy dealer for a spare is still in my garage :o). It will have to wait
until tomorrow to go in the car.

Marc Sheridan

From: "Michael Kovacs" <kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net>