<VV> shifter fun...

jryall at juno.com jryall at juno.com
Wed Jul 26 14:43:41 EDT 2006

I have had several cars in the past that still couldn't be shifted into
reverse even after putting new bushings in the shift tube. I suspect that
the shifter tube had twisted so that the tang in the back end that
located the shift coupler was no longer in the correct position. I had
someone move the linkage to reverse, then from under the car I moved the
linkage enough for the transmission to engage reverse. I then
disassembled the linkage and flattened the tang and installed the coupler
with two clamps. With the person in the car holding the shifter in the
reverse position, I then tightened the clamps. The linkage was now in the
correct position to engage all the gears. Two clamps will hold it in
position without the tang being engaged
John Ryall