<VV> "sealed" master cylinders

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 1 04:09:20 EST 2006

okay, a couple folks have caught me, they think, on the idea that master
cylinders are vented (or not) to the atmosphere, because some of them
have the rubber diaphragm 'follower' sealing the master cylinder cover.

well, maybe that is how it is supposed to work, but this is Virtual
Vair, so we are talking about Corvairs, all Corvairs, and I know that
the 60 passenger models and the early fc's were directly vented. okay,
some of them do have the seals, or should have them, but again, we are
talking Corvair -- oem, they all have a cast iron master cylinder with
an 'as cast' sealing surface, and of those with the sealing diaphragm,
nearly all of them have some corrosion (rust) on the surface where that
diaphragm is supposed to seal. if it is even slightly rusty (or if the
seal is old and stiff or has rust flakes imbedded in it), it is not an
airtight seal. end of story -- it sucks and vents.

I think road splash is potentially a serious problem for those vented
early fc master cylinders and for any other vehicle with under the floor
or frame mounted master cylinders.

also, it has been mentioned that the wheel cylinders and cups
deteriorate over time with just mechanical wear, if nothing else, and
you can suck all sorts of air, crap, and debris (all potentially
containing moisture) past the cups when the brakes return to the
un-applied condition -- a minor, imo, contamination, but still a
possible source of  contaminated brake fluid.  I think it is just as
likely, if not more so, to happen on the application phase -- keep those
dust boots in good condition.  more reasons to flush every so often --
racers do it routinely, frequently, & religiously.

Y'all Drive On now, yeh he'ar,

Bill