<VV> Corvair tire pressure

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 2 11:19:46 EST 2006

Yeah, the 40/60 --> 20/30 numbers sort of work out, but
that's just coincidental.  Tire pressure measured in psig
isn't going to have any sort of direct relationship to a %
weight distribution.

Remember too, that the reason GM was calling for such low
pressures in the front (wasn't it 15 psig F & 26 psig R?)
was to get the car to understeer more (i.e. fronts lose
traction earlier, not gain traction). The thought was that
"in the hands of Marion the librarian, it is better to
understeer than oversteer". Hence, get the front to slip
long before the rear by way of underinflated front tires.

Jim Burkhard