<VV> float springs

Larry Forman Larry at Forman.net
Sat Mar 4 10:33:10 EST 2006

At 09:50 PM 3/3/2006 -0800, Mel Smith wrote:
>I am a newcomer to carburetors, so when I rebuilt the carbs on my '65 110,
>I didn't pay attention to the little springs that go on the float hinges.
>After installing new needle valves (from Corvair underground), I tried
>installing the springs but didn't know which way to put them on. It seemed
>that the new valves (they are hexagonal rather than round with a
>screwdriver slot like the oringinals) might be at fault. Can the needle
>valves affect the springs? What is the proper way to instal the springs?

Hi Mel,
OK, set the float assembly so that the floats in the operational direction
upwards and are towards you and the hinged part is farther away.  Look at
the flat part between the two floats on the top, then look downward
slightly and on the right side facing you just down from the top flat
part.  You will find a TINY hole in that area.  That is where the straight
pin part of the spring goes into.  It is the part where the spring helps to
hold the floats down by pulling downward from that hole.  The spring goes
around the hinge pin, naturally.  The other end needs to be pulled outward
or away from you if you have the floats as I mentioned.  That end goes
against and downward on the inlet valve brass fitting.

It is just a little tricky to get everything to go together.  You first
place the straight spring end into the hole, the hold the spring slightly
apart so the other end is over the brass inlet valve.  Then you slowly
lower the spring so it is aligned with the hinge pin.  Finally you insert
the hinge pin and you are done.  If that does not make sense, please let me
know.

Larry